Labels

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

  HOMECOMINGS
AND GOINGS

    “Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

    Then took the other, .  . . ,”

        Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken

A class reunion brought us home
From our many roads
Seven decades after we began
To work our way
Through schools

Toward what we would become

I witnessed those roads converge
Across a cocktail aisle
And could not suppress the urge to smile

    Gracious hospitality
   Friendships refreshed
   Noisy stories voiced and heard
   A few beers shared
   The weather, perfectly clear 
   Plenty of sun

And a candle was lighted
For those whose courses had been run

We remembered the teachers

Who taught us skills

Today, looking back, those skills
Tidy and useful though they became
Have largely done with me

It’s questions now that freshen me
Urge me to look ahead, not back
For the new, the next
Not the past



Eventually, weekend done 
Our internal officers sorted through 
Our happy traffic jam
And sent us on our way 
Back down our roads again 

Mine, dimly lit, suggest to me
There still may be
Something new to see


God’s prod -- past seventy -- to seek maturity

May you enjoy good health and well-lit roads
I remain grateful that my way
Has always been and will continue to be enriched by yours


To the FHS class of 1955
Dennis Keefe
November 21, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment