Labels

Friday, April 5, 2024

 

WHITHER SPRING?

In late March Michigan?
Not quite
But taking seasonal liberties
With a road trip just might 

It had been a long Michigan winter
Our standards, not very high

Passing a Waffle House near Indianapolis
Said "south" to me

Further down, a Cracker Barrel
It's fireplace with no fire

Well, what says "warm" to you?

Probably daffodils

I saw buses
Volleyball teams
Baseball teams
Kids on spring break forays
Stressing the limits
Of motel breakfast buffets

Then it began to dawn on me
My efforts to seek spring
May be less consequential
Than spring’s efforts to find me

Phalanxes of flowers were heading north
Marching. forest-wide
Flying colors to tout their mission,
Spring's annual migration
Breaking winter’s hold
On a cold, colorless countryside  

First came the redbuds
Showing the dogwoods the way
The youngest and freshest in the lead
Their elders lagging behind
Trying for one more year
To maintain their game

The destination? 
I think, questionable
The word was,
Succeeding too well
Might get you into someone’s yard

A somber choice
Continue the adventure north
Or remain wild

DRK
5/20/19

No comments:

Post a Comment