Labels

Friday, November 14, 2014

A POET TAKES THE DAY OFF


A Poet Takes the Day Off

Gone today: 
Bird watching sessions,
leisurely conversations
with the back porch muse
and critter news.

Inspiration Point, special events,
can you hold your effects,
issue rain checks?
I travel today with more intent,
unrelaxed –
less wander, less wonder.

I have given my eyes and ears,
my nose for the noise of words
the morning off.

Sent to recharge and
return refreshed,
they disappeared
without committing a time to me –
reserving, I surmise,
their usual element of surprise.
                                                                              
So here I am
with unpoetic urgency –         
and uncharacteristic zip.
The change refreshes,
this mission trip. 
Let them watch me for a change,
conjure their own verses.                                                                                                                  
My wife’s car needs oil
and the appointment is
at ten.                   

Dennis R. Keefe,
5/19/08

No comments:

Post a Comment