Labels

Friday, November 14, 2014

SIGN IRONY

SIGN IRONY
                          
The sign on the Rhinelander
Cemetery road seemed clear

NO OUTLET
                                     
But I wonder
Who reads signs 
On the way to six feet under?
Or who needs to be reminded –
Isn’t “plan to stay” intended?

The sign could reflect
A local spiritual nihilist’s desire 
To deflect aspirations 
Of passage to an after-life

Or some Wisconsin existentialist’s 
Locked-in take 
On Sartre’s “No Exit”

Then I thought of the signs on cafe doors
That welcome customers with OPEN
Then when it’s time to go
Declare the outside CLOSED 

Had I thought to check this road sign’s backside 
Might I have found,  
Y’ALL COME turned around?
Redundant?  Truth in advertising?

I decided it wouldn’t hurt to become more wary
Of the rules governing my cemetery

Dennis R. Keefe
November 18, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment